Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Pioneer General Store


Today's feature is the Pioneer General Store, sometimes lovingly referred locally as The Amish Walmart. One will find hardware, housewares, cookware, gardening tools, camping supplies, generators, heaters, and much more. Sometimes when browsing one can find items that have not been seen before. I am amazed at the amount of cast iron cooking products one finds. People who like to do home canning will find items to assist in that area. You will find bins of gadgets. When browsing I found a selection of rain gear. There are pet supplies, children books, and boxed greeting cards. You can find lamps, outdoor solar lights, and lanterns. Outside you will find many different kinds of bricking and pavers. Merchandise is reasonably priced.

Take time to stop and browse. The store is often very busy on weekends with the parking lot full of vehicles. Employees are especially helpful.

Owned by Albert Miller, the store is located at 432 N. Mt. Tom Road (M-33) about three miles north of Mio. It is open Monday through Saturday from 8:00 to 5:00.

1 comment:

  1. This brings back many memories! When I was 13, the summer after my 8th grade, I worked my first job here at the Pioneer General as cashier. They gave me a little bench to stand on so I could reach the keys, lol! This worked because Albert Miller is my mom's uncle so it was a "family operation". I learned I loved meeting people and seeing them return as regular customers. Many great memories! As of 3-2016 this store is now owned by a Bontrager family, (yes, also distantly related to me) and great people. I went to school with their kids.

    ReplyDelete