Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Introduction

What a beautiful day here in Oscoda County, Michigan! In fact, we have had many beautiful days this winter and spring is here. People are seeing robins, geese, and even red winged black birds. When the red wings and robins arrive, spring has sprung. My lilies are also pushing up through the ground. As beautiful as it is, I will be surprised if we don't get any more snow. Today I went with a group from our church to the Fairview Maple Farm at 2797 N. Abbe Road. Tim Boonstra has been at his current location for the nine years. Yesterday they gathered 2600 gallon of sap to make into syrup. Today so far they have brought in 600. (This will probably not be a good year for syrup.) His set up is amazing considering what my folks had in the past. As kids, my siblings and I dumped sap into our buckets and often would sink down through deep snow only to spill our sap at times before we got to the tank to pour it in. However, the memories are wonderful. My dad has gone to heaven and my brother doesn't do the operation anymore. But my sister-in-law did bring us a gallon of syrup yesterday that was left over from when they stopped the operation. How thankful I am for that!

As I develop this blog, my plan is to introduce my readers to the Amish businesses in Oscoda County over the next couple of weeks. These businesses are flourishing and I appreciate having many of them here. Come and visit these businesses as well as others in the county.




No comments:

Post a Comment